[alsa-devel] snd_ctl_add_enumerated_elem_set and TLV

Fulup Ar Foll fulup.arfoll at iot.bzh
Sat Jul 29 16:12:27 CEST 2017

Hi,

I'm using snd_ctl_add_enumerated_elem_set to create user controls, I do
not understand why it set "TLV readable" option at true by default. I
have a simple enumeration without TLV. I use snd_ctl_elem_write but do
not call snd_ctl_elem_tlv_write. I do no understand how to prevent
snd_ctl_elem_info_is_tlv_readable to return true for this control,
obviously even if TLV is set as readable, it is empty and reading fail.

Example

fulup at fulup-desktop:~/Workspace/AlsaPulse> amixer -D hw:USB cget numid=237
numid=237,iface=MIXER,name='Hal-VolRamp-Mode'
   ; type=ENUMERATED,access=rw---RW-,values=1,items=4
   ; Item #0 'None'
   ; Item #1 'Normal'
   ; Item #2 'Smooth'
   ; Item #3 'Emergency'
   : values=1
amixer: Control hw:USB element TLV read error: No such device or address

Question: is there something special to set when a control does not have
a TLV ?

Fulup

PS: if I write a fake TLV everything goes fine, but this is not what I
expect for ENUM.