[alsa-devel] Intel alsa sound request for Laptops

John Frankish john.frankish at outlook.com
Tue Jan 31 07:40:06 CET 2017

> > > Ah OK, that's the way the current HD-audio driver behaves.
> > > It takes the card at first, then it leaves when the i915 component binding fails (like nomodeset).
> > > It's good to keep the device assignment consistent.  OTOH, it may leave the card#0 empty as a result.
> > > So this is the expected behavior.
> > >
> > Great - so the expected behaviour is for it to fail :P
>
> Yeah, "fail" to your expectation, unfortunately.
>
>The nomodeset or whatever disabling KMS itself is already the hackish workaround, and it's in a sort of abnormal state.

I disagree - in fact I was wrong to state that Xorg was using the modesetting driver, further down Xorg.0.log I see that the modesetting driver is unloaded and the vesa driver is used instead.

The use of the vesa driver is not hackish and especially not when i915 has a serious bug and the Intel driver is not stable.

> > Is there any chance of that being fixed in the future?
> >
> As already mentioned, the "fix" is to use PA.

Using pulseaudio is not going to fix the broken analogue sound when the i915 driver is not loaded