[alsa-devel] Ceasing ALSA involvement due to persistent ill-treatment

Jonathan Woithe jwoithe at just42.net
Mon Jan 30 14:45:31 CET 2017

I will keep this brief.

When things get to the point where every post one makes to alsa-devel is
responded to with personal attacks, disdain, contempt or hostility, where
one's extensive practical and technical experience is dismissed as being
invalid at every opportunity, and one is consequently anxious about reading
the responses to one's posts in alsa-devel, it's clearly time to walk away.
Sadly, this is the situation I find myself in so walking away is what I will
do once this message has been posted.

Moving firewire audio streaming functionality into the kernel has been a
long term goal of the FFADO project.  Having a decade of experience working
successfully with these devices under Linux through FFADO and its
predecessors, I was planning to lend assistance to the ALSA firewire
streaming driver development effort.  Unfortunately, it has become
abundantly clear that for some reason this is not welcomed (or even
tolerated) by some, so instead I will devote my time to the maintenance of
FFADO and my other Open Source projects.

Although *extremely* miniscule in comparison to the deplorable harassment
directed toward others in the Open Source community in the past, the
treatment I have received has given me a fresh perspective on the effect
that continued attacks can have on a person's attitude to life, and why many
good developers have completely turned their back on the entire Open Source
movement when faced with these kinds of issues.  The Open Source community
has wonderfully awesome people, but it is clear how the misdirected actions
of a few can so easily drive people away.

I wish the ALSA project well for its future work, and urge project members
to treat all participants with the basic human rights of respect and dignity
which were not afforded to me over the past two years on alsa-devel.

Regards
  jonathan