[alsa-devel] Intel alsa sound request for Laptops

Lars-Peter Clausen lars at metafoo.de
Sun Jan 29 14:23:13 CET 2017

On 01/29/2017 09:15 AM, John Frankish wrote:

>>> OK, but I should not have to add bloat like pulseaudio in order to have basic sound functionality.
>>>
>> For getting the basic sound functionality, you have to set up something.
>> You're asking the high-level automation, hence you need something like PA.
>>
> I'm not asking for high level automation, I'm asking that when I boot my laptop with alsa the built-in speakers work by default

That's OK and a reasonable request. But the thing is other people want to
use other default configurations, e.g. use the speakers in their HDMI
monitor by default. This is why at the kernel level ALSA does not get
involved with policy decisions and leaves this to userspace audio policy
managers such as PulseAudio.

If you don't want to use such a policy manager that's also OK, but then you
have to take care of policy management yourself by e.g. writing a ALSA
configuration file or manually specifying your preferred audio playback
device when starting a audio playback application.