[alsa-devel] Intel alsa sound request for Laptops

John Frankish john.frankish at outlook.com
Sun Jan 29 14:06:43 CET 2017

> > > Your machine has multiple audio devices, thus you have to prioritize the device to pick up.
> > > It's already a high level decision that the kernel doesn't care as
> > > default, thus it requires either a high-level automation or some manual adjustment in user-space.
> > >
> > > You're asking a simple thing, but it's not simple as you think.
> > >
> > I don't say that it's simple, but I believe it is a reasonably expectation.
> >
> And this expectation is already a high-level; i.e. it's more than the kernel level.
> So a reasonably expected answer is: use PA if you do want everything working without the manual adjustment.

> > > How do you run modesetting X driver without i915 driver?

> > > No, you seem to be mixing up the cause and the result.
> > >
> > > You really should check why the audio doesn't work when you don't use i915.
> > > As already mentioned, it influences the probe order, as HDMI audio device probe fails without i915.
> > > At least, it works as is, if you're using the latest kernel.
> > >
> > > If it still doesn't work, report it properly with certain logs.
> > >
> > snd_hda_intel 0000:00:03.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
> > snd_hda_intel 0000:00:03.0: failed to add i915 component master (-19)
> > snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC1D0: autoconfig for ALC3226: line_outs=1 (0x16/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0) type:line
> > snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC1D0:    speaker_outs=1 (0x14/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
> > snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC1D0:    hp_outs=1 (0x15/0x0/0x0/0x0/0x0)
> > snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC1D0:    mono: mono_out=0x0
> > snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC1D0:    inputs:
> > snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC1D0:      Dock Mic=0x19
> > snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC1D0:      Headset Mic=0x1a
> > snd_hda_codec_realtek hdaudioC1D0:      Internal Mic=0x12
> > input: HDA Intel PCH Dock Mic as
> > /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card1/input11
> > input: HDA Intel PCH Dock Line Out as
> > /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card1/input12
> > input: HDA Intel PCH Front Headphone as
> > /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/sound/card1/input13
> >
> > $ aplay -l
> > **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices **** card 1: PCH [HDA Intel
> > PCH], device 0: ALC3226 Analog [ALC3226 Analog]
> >   Subdevices: 1/1
> >
> > $ alsamixer
> > cannot open mixer: No such file or directory
> >
> I guess you still leave index=1,0 option even if you boot without i915, right?  Then it breaks.
> The option means that it swaps the primary and the secondary cards.  As already mentioned, without i915,
> the primary device, HDMI output is disabled, thus there will be only device.  Still by specifying index=1,0,
> you set the non-existing secondary card as card#0, thus you get such an error, as the apps expect card#0
> to be the default.  See the output above showing "card 1", not "card 0".
>
> That said, if you boot without i915, drop the index option.

I booted without i915 and did not set any index options (the default behaviour of tinycorelinux is to boot clean like a live-CD distro)

> BTW, instead of index option, you can define the default PCM and the control via ~/.asoundrc.
> There you can pass the id name string instead of the card number, so that it's persistent no matter
> which card number is assigned depending on the boot condition.

Thanks, but I think I'll leave things here:

My opinion is that the laptop speakers should work by default and that I should not have to load unwanted (and buggy) graphics drivers in order to get sound to work.

Your opinion is otherwise.

The beauty of Linux is that we can agree to disagree :)