[alsa-devel] Intel alsa sound request for Laptops

John Frankish john.frankish at outlook.com
Sun Jan 29 09:15:27 CET 2017

> > > For a smart automation, use PulseAudio.  It's exactly for such a purpose.
> > >
> > > The kernel driver assigns each device just in the order how they are enumerated.
> > > In the case of HD-audio, it's the order of PCI devices.
> > > It's nothing different from any other PCI drivers.
> > >
> > OK, but I should not have to add bloat like pulseaudio in order to have basic sound functionality.
> >
> For getting the basic sound functionality, you have to set up something.
> You're asking the high-level automation, hence you need something like PA.

I'm not asking for high level automation, I'm asking that when I boot my laptop with alsa the built-in speakers work by default

> Of course, you're free to reimplement a wheel if you don't like PA.
> A similar thing can be achieved just by delaying the sound driver module
> index appropriately there. (Just an idea, though.)
>
> > You also don't mention why I should have to load a graphics driver (i915) in order to get analogue sound? That makes no sense at all...
> >
> The lack of i915 influences on the index assignment since the HDMI codec driver probe fails without i915.
> It's the reason why the secondary HD-audio codec appears as the first, eventually it's the analog audio output in your case.

I do not use the i915 driver at all - as far as I know, it still has the "pipe state doesn't match" bug - Xvesa doesn't require it and I use the modesetting driver with Xorg (since after more than a year we're still waiting for a stable xf86-video-intel).

You appear to be saying that, even if I work from the console prompt, I need to load the unneeded (and buggy) i915 driver in order to have analogue sound.

All credit to Intel for providing Linux drivers, but this i915/alsa/hdmi saga seems really flaky :(