[alsa-devel] Cannot combine audio devices with more than 64 channels

John Rigg aldev2 at jrigg.co.uk
Fri Jan 27 21:25:22 CET 2017

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 02:03:16PM +0100, Jörg Müller wrote:
> So I want to apply that patch to my system (Ubuntu Studio 14.04). How
> do I proceed? I guess, the patch wont be available via apt-get soon,
> right?
> So I'd have to compile from source.
> 1. What source code packages do I need to download?
> 2. I'm familiar with the usual "/.configure", "make" and "sudo make
> install" but in the case of this specific alsa-module, is there
> anything more I'd need to do?

One method is to download alsa-lib source, apply the patch, compile
and install over the top of the existing Ubuntu libasound2 files.

Another method is to build your own patched libasound2 .deb
package to replace the standard Ubuntu one.

I'll be applying the patch here on Debian using the first method.
If you need instructions on how to do that, feel free to email
me off list at 'john.rigg.audio at gmail.com' (gmail doesn't like
my own mail server so I need to use that address to send mail to
gmail users).

John