[alsa-devel] [bug report] ASoC: dapm: Implement and instantiate DAI widgets

Linus Walleij linus.walleij at linaro.org
Fri Jan 20 10:52:31 CET 2017

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 1:25 PM, Lars-Peter Clausen <lars at metafoo.de> wrote:
> On 01/19/2017 11:30 AM, Dan Carpenter wrote:
>>>
>>> Dan you need to update Mark's email in your address book, its been a while
>>> since he moved away from wolfson..
>>>

>> Oh crap!  This warning is from 2012...  I really need to update my
>> scripts so I stop sending really ancient warnings.
>
> The warning is correct. It's just the wrong commit. The issue was introduced
> with commit 37e1df8c95e2 ("ASoC: dapm: handle probe deferrals"). The commit
> introduces ERR_PTR() as a possible return value for the function, but does
> not update all callers.

Yeah so the DAPM code was violating the regulator and clock
APIs by ignoring potential error pointers (just doing NULL checks), so I
made it aware of this, but oops it created a downstream problem that everyone
using DAPM gets the cascaded error pointer.

I just have to bit the bullet and make a patch updating all DAPM
consumers, it's just work, I'll keep you in CC.

Yours,
Linus Walleij