[alsa-devel] PROBLEM: Internal microphone (& combined headset jack, in default config) not working on Acer VN7-592G (Skylake)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Jan 13 12:36:52 CET 2017

On Thu, 12 Jan 2017 13:23:54 +0100,
Ralf Jung wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> (This is my first bugreport to a mailing list, so I hope I'm filling out
> everything properly here...)
>
> [1.] Internal microphone (& combined headset jack, in default config)
> not working on Acer VN7-592G (Skylake)
> [2.]
> The internal microphone of my new laptop, an Acer Aspire V Nitro Black
> Edition (VN7-592G) with Skylake, is not working.  The machine has a
> single "headset" jack which is supposed to support both speakers,
> microphones, and "combined jacks" that carry both audio-in and audio-out
> (like they are common on smartphones).
>   Without any further configuration, the jack works only for external
> speakers.  A plugged-in microphone doesn't seem to do anything, for a
> combined headset (i.e. sth. with both microphone and speaker in one
> jack), only the speaker part works.  I tried all combinations of
> settings in pavucontrol, i.e., "Speakers" (that's the internal ones) vs.
> "Headphones" for audio output and "Microphone" vs. "Headset Microhpone"
> for the audio input.
>
> I was able to improve the situation by adding this to modprobe.d:
>   options snd-hda-intel model=dell-headset-multi
> Now, mics and external speakers plugged in work fine (where for mics, I
> need to manually configure them in pacuvontrol: "Speakers" and
> "Microphone").  Combined headsets also work (with "Headphones" and
> "Headset Microphone"), i.e. I get audio in and audio out, but the audio
> in from the microphone is fairly noisy.  I am not sure whether this is
> due to the headset or the laptop; I am using the same headset with my
> phone and people I called did not complain about noise.
>   Furthermore, there is a weird effect: I have a headset with *separate*
> plugs for speaker and mic (which I used above to test the speaker vs.
> mic functionality).  If I plug in the speaker part, but configure it as
> a microhpone (out: "Speakers", in: "Microphone"), then I actually get a
> (rather noisy) input signal. Not sure what is going on there, but I'm
> reasonably sure it is getting that signal from the headset, not the
> internal mic of the laptop.

It's a configuration with "headphone mic" for Dell, so it doesn't fit
with yours properly.

Look at the lspci -nv output, and check the PCI SSID of the
corresponding device.  Then try to add an entry applying some fixup,
e.g. ALC269_FIXUP_ASPIRE_HEADSET_MIC, in alc269_fixup_tbl[] defined in
sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c:

static const struct snd_pci_quirk alc269_fixup_tbl[] = {
        SND_PCI_QUIRK(0x1025, XXXX, "Acer Your Model", ALC269_FIXUP_ASPIRE_HEADSET_MIC),

There are other definitions for 1025:*, so put your own one there.
The list is sorted in the id number order.

There are quite lots of fixup models that can be applied, do figure
out by trial-and-error.

HTH,