[alsa-devel] what is exactly pcm.boundary?

Ricardo Biehl rbpoficial at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 17:08:47 CET 2017

> Are you talking about code in your driver (where you are responsible for
> asking the hardware), or user space code (where you must not directly
> read hw_ptr)?  What is the actual problem you're trying to solve?

Hello!
I'm developing a "live microphone system over local network" which are user
space programs (clients => server) transferring audio nearly real-time
(human imperceptible latency).
I need to elaborate a good solution of implementation to have everything working
as expected -- networking, scheduling, IO management etc -- However I need at
first make sure I can get control over audio.

I decided to use ioctl() level of communication with ALSA in kernel, and what I
need is synchronization :-)
I must know which sample the hardware is currently processing to prevent a lot
of losses or latency increasing.

Cheers!

--
Ricardo Biehl Pasquali