[alsa-devel] ASoC: fsl_sai: Independent TX and RX master slave configuration

Vishal Thanki vishalthanki at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 16:54:39 CET 2017

Hi All,

I am working on a custom board based on i.MX7d SoC from NXP. The
hardware uses SAI (Synchronous Audio Interface) Port 1 of i.MX7d for
playback and recording use cases. The required system configuration
is: SoC should act as I2S master for TX part, and slave for RX part.
However, I could not figure out a clean way to instruct CPU dai driver
(sound/soc/fsl/fsl_sai.c) about different roles for TX and RX of a
same DAI. The .set_fmt DAI op configures the TX and RX registers in
the same manner. In order to achieve the required configuration (TX
master, RX slave), I added a device tree property (i.e.
"fsl,sai-is-rx-slave") and based on that make necessary changes in
.set_fmt DAI operation. Attached is the patch for the same. Is this
the right way to go? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Vishal