[alsa-devel] About ASoC DAIs cleanup

Kuninori Morimoto kuninori.morimoto.gx at renesas.com
Fri Dec 22 02:23:32 CET 2017

Hi Mark

Thank you for your feedback

> > Codec / CPU callback order are OK, but DAI / Component order is exchanged.
> > If this is not a big problem, we can do it.
>
> Ah, yes - we'd need to mix in the platform :/
(snip)
> Yes, there's other things need to be fixed - I'm not saying it'd be a
> simple transition.
(snip)
> It's been talked about for years but it's another of these things that's
> a lot of work to transition.

Hmm... OK...
So, we have 2 choices ?

	choice 1) Use ordered DAI
		- We need to select all DAI / Component callback order somehow
	          (I think every callback can use same order ?).
		- SND_SOC_DAIFMT_CBx_CFx exchanged is mandatory
		- DAI categorize is no longer needed.
	choice 2) Use categorized DAI
		- DAI categorize is still needed.
		- SND_SOC_DAIFMT_CBx_CFx exchanged is not mandatory

I think choice 2) is good for step-by-step approach ;)

I think, we can use "1 dai_link approach style" on choice 2) anyway.
And it can use "ordered DAI" approach style too.
It doesn't include "component order", but good step for "choice 1)" ?

If I use "CPU/Codec" naming here,
we will have multi CPU DAI, and multi Codec DAI.
Then, we can know num_cpu_dai, num_codec_dai.
1 ordered dai_link will be

	dai_link = CPU0, CPU1, ... Codec0, Codec1, ...

we can know which one is CPU/Codec DAI by using num_cpu/codec_dai.

Best regards
---
Kuninori Morimoto