[alsa-devel] [RFC v3 06/11] ASoC: hdac_hda: add ASoC based HDA codec driver

Ughreja, Rakesh A rakesh.a.ughreja at intel.com
Thu Dec 21 17:39:10 CET 2017

Let me try that out and will move to hdac_bus if I don't run into any
practical issues.

>But still an open question is where to hook.  You've put the branch at
>the very beginning of each probe/remove, that is, completely replacing
>the whole probe/remove callbacks.  Meanwhile, the legacy codec driver
>still expects the legacy hda_codec object handling, so keeping more
>common stuff would make sense.  That is, if we do switching at the
>beginning, the rest should just compose the same helper functions in
>slightly different ways.  Or we share most parts of probe/remove in
>both legacy and asoc but branch off after some later point in the
>probe/remove functions.

I think I am wrong in doing the above. I was thinking that I cannot do
all those steps done in the probe before the snd_soc_codec probe gets
called.

After looking at the code again after your comments, It looks like
I can call all these before the card is registered by the machine driver.

Is that right understanding ? same thing is happening in legacy
driver also. The card is registered at the end. So I will just skip that step.

>In anyway, a whole patchset would be helpful so that I can give it a
>try, too.  But maybe I'll have little time tomorrow and a few days
>thereafter due to vacation.

Sure, will send you the series tomorrow by correcting few more things.

Regards,
Rakesh