[alsa-devel] [RFC v2 00/11] Enable HDA Codec support on Intel Platforms (Series2)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Dec 11 12:23:11 CET 2017

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 11:52:52 +0100,
Rakesh Ughreja wrote:

> Many Intel platforms (SKL, KBL) etc. in the market supports enhanced
> audio capabilities which also includes DSP processing. This patch carry
> forwards the works that is done in the previous series to enable HD Audio
> codecs on such platforms.
>
> This patch series adds ASoC HDA codec driver for Intel platforms. It is
> written by reusing the legacy HDA ALSA codec driver. Intention is to
> maximize the reuse and minimize the changes in the legacy HDA codec driver.
>
> I would like to receive feedback before proceeding further on this
> direction.
>
> INFO:
> - This series is tested on KBL based product (Dell XPS 13).
> - Basic playback is working with headset and speakers.
> - HDMI playback is working.
> - Capture operation is not tested.
> - More platforms and use cases coverage can be added once we have basic
>   agreement in terms of the overall approach.
>
> Changes in v2:
> - Using Topology framework to create DAIs and DAI Links
> - Moved most commonly used functions into a separate file for machine driver
> - Implemented separate Realtek ASoC HDA Driver driver for Realtek HDA codecs.
>   It is just a driver registration wrapper which reuses the legacy HDA codec
>   driver. This allows the removes the limitation that was present in v1.
> - Implemented the review feedback.

Looking through the patchset quickly, I have a mixed feeling with it.
I see you're trying to get it working with minimal changes, which is
good in one side.  OTOH, it is unacceptably messy, in special, because
the device creation and registration phases are mixed up.

And exporting each codec table doesn't look nice.  We need to find a
better way...

thanks,