[alsa-devel] Multiple codecs on the same DAI

Ricard Wanderlof ricard.wanderlof at axis.com
Wed Dec 6 13:54:38 CET 2017

On Fri, 24 Nov 2017, Mark Brown wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 03:21:24PM +0100, Ricard Wanderlof wrote:
>
> > In a sense, what I'd want would be to bring in the S/PDIF receiver as a
> > codec driver, but separate from the ordinary chain of sound drivers
> > (codec, platform, etc). I suppose one way would be to somehow (via
> > platform data or DT) pass a reference to the S/PDIF receiver to the
> > machine driver, which would then somehow convert this to a snd_soc_codec
> > *, and then have it explicitly call the the snd_soc_codec_driver.probe
> > function set up by the S/PDIF receiver driver to initialize it much the
> > way ALSA would have done if it had been part of a dai_link for card.
>
> You can just register any CODEC device as an aux_dev, that seems to be
> exactly what you're looking for.

Ah, thanks. Yes, having tried it now it does indeed seem to be what I
need.

How about non-sound devices, for instance if there is a chip solely for
managing the microphone power but it's not actually part of the codec. Is
it reasonable to bring it in as an aux device too, even though there's
actually no sound going through it?

/Ricard