[alsa-devel] Attempting to understand odd snd-usb-audio code and behavior

Keith A. Milner maillist at superlative.org
Thu Aug 24 00:49:51 CEST 2017

On Wednesday 23 Aug 2017 14:52:43 Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > So the error messages are due to a userspace app trying to open playback
> > and capture at the same time?
>
> For this device, playback requires a running capture stream to determine
> the rate of packets.

Interestingly, the device works for playback (using aplay) until I try to
capture, when it stops working until I reset it.

> This error happens when the application tries to
> open the capture stream after the playback stream.  (If the format does
> not actually need to change, the error message is misleading.)
>
> Your actual problem is that the device does not send any capture packets.

Presumably this should (in principle) be taken care of by the driver. The
application should not care. So the driver should detect the dependency and
open the corresponding capture stream if a playback stream is opened?

There's definitely something hooky with this device and the capture stream
though, which I need to explore further. So far I cannot get capture working
at all.

Cheers,

Keith