[alsa-devel] snd_soc_set_dmi_name - Shouldn't it use SYS_VENDOR?

Daniel Drake drake at endlessm.com
Thu Apr 27 20:00:45 CEST 2017

Hi,

Nice to see DMI info being attached to SoC sound devices so that we
can differentiate between differerent products in userspace, thanks
for the effort there.

However I just noticed that it using DMI_BOARD_VENDOR. Is this intentional?

I have several examples of products here where DMI_BOARD_VENDOR is not
set to a meaningful value, but DMI_SYS_VENDOR is just fine. DMI quirks
in the kernel ordinarily tend to match products by combining
DMI_SYS_VENDOR with DMI_PRODUCT_NAME.

In the SMBIOS data format, Type 1 (System information) includes
DMI_SYS_VENDOR and DMI_PRODUCT_NAME. Type 2 (Base board information)
includes DMI_BOARD_VENDOR and DMI_BOARD_NAME. See dmi_decode() in
drivers/firmware/dmi_scan.c

It seems strange that ASoC is pulling the product name from Type 1 but
the vendor from type 2. Can we make it instead just use Type 1 data,
DMI_SYS_VENDOR and DMI_PRODUCT_NAME?

Thanks
Daniel