[alsa-devel] Internal Speaker problem

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Apr 14 17:57:53 CEST 2017

On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 17:46:34 +0200,
Laszlo Papp wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 1:41 PM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 14 Apr 2017 12:27:37 +0200,
> > Laszlo Papp wrote:

> > working on

> > went

> > goes

> > Windows if
> > the
> > that I
> > all.

> > > cat /sys/module/snd_hda_intel/parameters/power_save
> > > 0
> > >
> > > Back to my previous question: is there a way to permanently tell the node
> > > to remain up? As mentioned, some use before the hardware breaks is better
> > > than no use. I will not switch to Windows by any means as I really like
> > > Linux much better. I would rather buy a new laptop than switching to
> > > Windows. But before doing that, I would like to see what can be worked
> > out
> > > with the current setup.
> >
> > As I mentioned, it's possibly the BIOS firmware who does it, no the
> > Linux kernel driver.  You can watch the driver behavior via tracepoint
> > outputs (see Documentation/sound/hd-audio/notes.rtf).  If it shows the
> > widget power down, it's the driver issue.  If it still happens even
> > though the kernel doesn't touch, it's a hardware firmware problem.
> >

> I am not sure whether I have done what you requested, so please let me know
> whether this is sufficien information to you:
>
> root /home/lpapp # echo 1 > /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/events/hda/enable
> (start mplayer)
> root /home/lpapp # cat /sys/kernel/debug/tracing/trace > trace.log
> root /home/lpapp # wgetpaste trace.log
> Your paste can be seen here:
> https://paste.pound-python.org/show/5BBURUwPuYu5SYEpTpa5/
> root /home/lpapp #

Is it already the state where the power-off happened?
The log doesn't show any power control.  That is, the driver doesn't
touch the codec power by itself at all.  You can try to decode the
verbs (val=xxx), e.g. hda-decode-verb program included in hda-emu.

> But please let me ask you one question: if it is a BIOS problem, it should
> have happened from day one, or not necessarily? Also, why does the BIOS not
> kick in when using Windows?

No idea, it's BIOS, so only Lenovo knows, after all.
There can be some vendor-specific magic.

It's supposedly some stuff to protect against the overheat.  That
might be the reason it didn't happened before.  By the longer usage,
the heat flow was worsened (e.g. dust in the air duct).

Takashi