[alsa-devel] DAPM over two regmaps (and a mailbox)

Maxime Ripard maxime.ripard at free-electrons.com
Mon Sep 19 13:34:15 CEST 2016

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 12:12:47PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 12:54:19PM +0200, Maxime Ripard wrote:
>
> > That codec is mapped in memory, however, we have a bunch of DAPM
> > widgets that are mapped in a separate register space, that should
> > probably be exposed through a syscon (but isn't yet).
>
> Why not just represent those as a separate device?

I don't know, this seems to be supplies to muxers, mixers, DACs, the
amplifier (and the amplifier volume too, even though that's not a
widget), and it looks really intertwinned, how would you separate
them?

> > To make things worse, the register in the syscon behaves as a mailbox,
> > where you actually have to set in that register the address you want
> > to modify and the new value, in a single write. This also seem to
> > deviate from the usual DAPM access pattern.
>
> This is totally fine, just use events for the things that aren't simple
> register updates - there are a large number of examples in the tree,
> simple register access is totally optional.

Ah, yes, that seems to be just right. Thanks!
Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering