[alsa-devel] arecord: does hardware or software throw away unused

Rob Nertney rob at rob-otics.com
Wed Sep 14 03:40:50 CEST 2016

So the arecord (and aplay for this matter)'s pointer callback? The writing
ALSA driver user guide says

*This callback is called when the PCM middle layer inquires the current
hardware position on the buffer. The position must be returned in frames,
ranging from 0 to buffer_size - 1. This is called usually from the
buffer-update routine in the pcm middle layer, which is invoked when
snd_pcm_period_elapsed() is called in the interrupt routine. Then the pcm
middle layer updates the position and calculates the available space, and
wakes up the sleeping poll threads, etc.*

"Returned in frames". Does this mean returned in MAX_CHANNELS frames?