[alsa-devel] [SAMPLE-PATCH 0/x] ASoC: replace snd_soc_read/write

Kuninori Morimoto kuninori.morimoto.gx at renesas.com
Wed Oct 19 10:19:54 CEST 2016

Hi Lars

> The problematic bits are in the ASoC core where we have code that needs to
> know whether a component is a CODEC or not. These are the issue we need to
> resolve before we can think about converting more driver snd_soc_codec to
> snd_soc_component.

Yeah, I agree about this, but

> I agree with Takashi, in my opinion this is not the right change at this
> point in time. snd_soc_{write,read}() are not problematic they are simple
> wrapper functions around snd_soc_component_{write,read}() that make it more
> convenient to use them in a CODEC driver. Same for the CODEC specific
> probe()/remove() callbacks.
>
> And while we are phasing out the concept of differentiating between
> different types of components, since the hardware landscape has changed so
> that there is no longer a really meaningful differentiating factor,
> snd_soc_codec and snd_soc_codec drivers will still be around for a while.
(snip)
> Doing these partial conversions only leaves us with a lot of drivers that
> are more convoluted than they need to be. In my opinion a driver should be
> converted in one go, making it a complete component driver. But not leave it
> partially component and partially CODEC. We've done this for the drivers
> where it is possible, e.g. see [1].

Your "converted in one go" includes many conversion in 1 patch, right ?
But it will be difficult to review, and is big risk.

I talked this topic with Mark in Berlin, and if my understand was correct,
he agreed about step-by-step approach, because current driver is very complex.
many conversion in 1 patch x 100 driver is very big risk IMO.

Best regards
---
Kuninori Morimoto