[alsa-devel] configuring machine specific DAPM for codec + headset jack detect

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Tue Oct 18 13:02:36 CEST 2016

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 04:33:10PM -0700, Tim Harvey wrote:

> I have a TI TLV320AIC3105 codec on a board connected to a TS3A227E
> headset detect chip (which handles switching pins for OMTP vs std
> jacks as well as jack detect and headset buttons). The AIC3105 doesn't
> use several of the inputs and outputs yet those inputs and outputs
> still have mux widgets volume widgets that are not 'off'.

> Is there a way to easily disable them so they a) are not muxed into
> mixers, b) have their gains set to 0, and c) are pruned from the list
> of widgets so users don't have to muddle through them in mixers?

No, you need to write that code if you want it - we do mark not
connected things with the intention that someone could implement this
but nobody did yet.

> I am also fighting both a pop/click issue and am wondering if there is
> any easy way to disable the DAPM power up/down sequence upon playback
> start/complete (my application is not power sensitive). I'm still
> trying to understand the source of the pop/click.

You can ramp the power down time up but no, there's no way to disable it
completely in the kernel - this is normally done in the sound server and
tends to work better that way as starting and stopping the digital audio
stream tends to be glitchy.

> Additionally the TS3A227E requires MIC bias to be kept enabled in
> order to detect headset button presses. I see that setting
> idle_bias_off to false will keep the MIC bias enabled but I don't see
> a way to specify that via device-tree.

Your machine driver should force enable any widgets it needs.
idle_bias_off should have no effect on microphone biases, if it does
that sounds like a bug.