[alsa-devel] Preferred way to keep mixer mute in sync with digital_mute callback

Pascal Huerst pascal.huerst at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 17:34:56 CEST 2016

Hey everyone,

I'm currently having an issue with cs4271. The codec plays back, even if
mute is activated in alsa mixer. This is caused by the digital_mute
callback, that does not care about the current mute status in alsa
mixer. As a user, I would expect, that if mute is set in alsa mixer, I
don't get any output if I play something back. (But probably I'm wrong?).

On the other hand, wm8350 codec uses a flag in the driver struct, that
stores the current state of mute in alsa mixer, which is taken into
consideration in the digital_mute callback. But to make this possible,
one can not just use:

SOC_*()

for example, but has to create a put-function using:

SOC_*_EXT()

only to get and store that flag. Is this really the way to go, or did I
miss something?

Thanks,
Pascal