[alsa-devel] Kernel config issue: SND_HDA_RECONFIG depends on SND_HDA_HWDEP

Jochen Henneberg jh at henneberg-systemdesign.com
Mon May 9 14:42:52 CEST 2016

On Mo, 2016-05-09 at 14:28 +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> On Fri, 06 May 2016 17:55:04 +0200,
> Jochen Henneberg wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > with kernel 4.5 (and it looks as if this has not changed since then)
> > the SND_HDA_RECONFIG sysfs entries still show up in the hwdep devices.
> > Enabling SND_HDA_RECONFIG without SND_HDA_HWDEP is worth nothing, but
> > the dependency has been removed from Kconfig.
> > The commits from 13aeaf68 / 'Manage each codec instance individually'
> > read as if the sysfs entries should show up at the codec
> > driver but they do not.
>
> Right, it's indeed missing in the core hdaudio bus sysfs.  We may
> extend hdaudio bus sysfs for additional entries, but I guess it's
> easier to fix up the Kconfig dependency for now.

That's true, Kconfig is the fast path. But after all, this is all worth
nothing as long as the reconfig is broken, please refer to my email
'bug: reconfig broken on kernel 4.5' in the list. I would really like to
provide a patch for this issue, but my understanding of the HDA/sound
stack is too limited.

Regards,
Jochen

> thanks,