[alsa-devel] writing driver for MOTU PCI 324, 2408 MK-II

Jef groupentity at comcast.net
Fri Mar 25 16:12:24 CET 2016

Forest Bond <f_a_b <at> softhome.net> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm new to the list.  Joined up because I've decided I want to write a
> driver for the Mark of the Unicorn PCI-324 PCI card.  This card allows a
> variety of MOTU external interfaces to be used.  I own a MOTU 2408 MK
> II, an 8 channel interface.  This (and similar interfaces from MOTU) are
> common in the pro audio world.
>
> I have emailed MOTU tech support, but have not gotten a response.  I
> have a feeling this will be the case in the future, as well.  MOTU has
> strong ties with Apple.
>
> I've searched the list archive, and, from what I can see, noone has
> begun work on a driver for these interfaces.  It may not be feasible,
> given the lack of technical information available (yeah, yeah, I know,
> welcome to the wonderful world of linux driver development).  If,
> however, anyone is aware of an attempt to write a driver, please let me
> know.  Also, if anyone is interested in pitching in, send me an email.
>
> I have limited experience writing drivers (well, next to none,
> actually), but I'm gonna give it a shot anyway.
>
> Couple of questions:
>
> Can released ASIO drivers be used to gather technical information on the
> hardware?
>
> Are there any good techniques for probing the hardware and discovering
> necessary technical info?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
> Forest

Hello!
I know this is an old post, but I was hoping that the sentiment was still
alive and strong. I have recently made the transition to Linux as my primary
OS, and I, too, am looking to move my audio gear along as well. Has there
been any progress on the PCI-324 linux driver development front? Is there an
active project in the works, or has this idea been abandoned?
Cheers! And thank you.
Jef