[alsa-devel] Scheduled alsa-lib release?

Takashi Sakamoto o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp
Wed Mar 9 08:47:09 CET 2016

Hi,

On Mar 9 2016 15:17, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Mar 2016 07:16:24 +0100,
> Vinod Koul wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 05:49:19PM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> in the previous meeting, there have been requests about the regular
>>> "predictable" release of alsa-lib.  We thought of aligning with kernel
>>> release cycle, judging from the nature of alsa-lib.

As a quick glance of the number of commits per month (see in the end of
this message), alsa-lib is not so actively developed recently. (except
for topology APIs)

I think releasing every 2 months makes the release maintenance effort
more hard than its actual advantage. It better to release alsa-lib for 2
or more kernel release cycles.

>>> alsa-lib 1.1.0 was released in the beginning of November, which was
>>> just after 4.3 kernel release.  Now 4.5 kernel release will be likely
>>> in the next week or one week after that.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> So we should release it on monday then if Linus does release on Sunday
>
> Heh, we don't have to be that strict.  But at least we can start
> working on releasing.

For the idea itself to release alsa-lib 1.1.1 in this month, I agree.
(In this case, I might hurry up for my proposals of APIs to add control
element set, after my work for Dice drivers will be merged into
linux-next branch.)

>>> Jaroslav, how about releasing alsa-lib 1.1.1 around that?
>>> There are a few pending patches, but they should be available soon.
>>
>> --
>> ~Vinod

$ cd alsa-lib.git
$ git log --pretty=format:"%ad" --date=short | sed -E
's/(....-..)-../\1/g' | sort | uniq --count
      21 1998-08
       7 1998-09
       4 1998-10
      54 1998-11