[alsa-devel] I created a wiki page about bug reporting, review requested

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Mar 4 18:03:22 CET 2016

On Fri, 04 Mar 2016 09:14:52 +0100,
Tanu Kaskinen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When talking with PulseAudio users, I sometimes need to tell people to
> file ALSA bugs, and it would be nice to have a web page that explains
> how to do that. (Also, I found that the alsa packages in OpenEmbedded
> point to a non-functional bug tracker, and I wanted to fix the
> packages, but I couldn't find a substitute link.) Therefore I created a
> wiki page: http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Bug_Tracking
>
> The Bug_Tracking wiki page points to another new page, explaining alsa-
> info.sh: http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/AlsaInfo
>
> Are the ALSA maintainers happy with the contents? I'm not really an
> expert on how you prefer bugs to be reported.

Yeah, I'm happy with it.  Thank you!

Though, a few more hints would be better to be put:
- alsa-devel ML needs the manual approval if posted from
  non-subscribers.  Subscribe to ML before posting, or be patient.

- A too long text is seen as a spam.  The alsa-info.sh output might be
  better compressed and attached to the mail.  (A long text can go out
  after the manual approval, though.)

- HTML mails are silently dropped as spam on alsa-devel ML.

> Also, the "Bug Tracker" link in the wiki sidebar points to
> https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug which doesn't work. I think
> that link should be changed to point to the new wiki page, but I don't
> have edit rights for the sidebar.

Right, this has been dead, and I also wish it removed...
I thought I tried it but failed due to the edit right, too.