[alsa-devel] S/PDIF and track markers (echo3g)

Anssi Hannula anssi.hannula at iki.fi
Fri Jun 17 19:43:22 CEST 2016

17.06.2016, 16:29, Mark Hills kirjoitti:
> Hi,

Hi,

> Is there any provision in ALSA (either within the kernel or libasound) for
> extracting track marker information from S/PDIF?

I don't know what track marker data looks like, but see below.

> I have a large number of MiniDisc recordings to preserve as FLAC format.
>
> Losing track markers would be a huge inconvenience, though I don't care
> for the rest of the metadata (track names etc..)
>
> There's enough recordings to be worth developing specific software for the
> archival if it can access this information.
>
> I don't really know which path is likely to be successful:
>
> * An ALSA API to access the information; though I can't see anything
>   specific to track markers
>
> * Whether a timecode could be used to detect track change; but I can't see
>   any in /proc/asound/Layla3G/status
>
> * Does ALSA provide access to raw AES streams, so I could decode it in
>   userland? I'm un-sure if this relates to hardware AC3 decoding.

ALSA does provide access to the raw stream with drivers that support
that. You'll need to record with IEC958_SUBFRAME_LE or
IEC958_SUBFRAME_BE sample formats.

> * Maybe this sort of status is only available to the firmware of the
>   interface and never makes it to userland (in my case, echo3g); though I
>   can see some constants relating to 'non audio' S/PDIF.

Unfortunately the echo3g driver doesn't seem to support
IEC958_SUBFRAME_* sample formats.

The HDA driver, used for most mainboard/laptop integrated audio, does
support that format if the hardware is capable. I'm not sure if the
hardware commonly supports that format or not, though.

--
Anssi Hannula