[alsa-devel] Alsa Soc details

Chemsi Mehdi chmsmehdi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 15:07:20 CEST 2016

Dear expert,

I have some ALSA questions please:

   -

   Why codec driver of ASOC are always I2C based ?, is codec driver role is
   only control of audio hardware(set/reset registers only)?
   -

   There should be three drivers : machine driver, platform driver and
   codec driver , all of them have .probe and . remove , what is relation
   between all the probes? removes ?
   -

   As far I know McBSP is source of audio coming from host and I2C/ McBSP
   have no direct relation so why we connect platform driver (McBSP) with
   codec driver(I2C) Via DAI ?
   -

   When calling snd_pcm_open from userspace which kernel API is called ?
   snd_pcm_lib_ioctl or  snd_stm_spdif_player_open ? if
   snd_stm_spdif_player_open so when called snd_pcm_lib_ioctl ?
   -

   How ALSA KERNELAPI is connected to ALSA SOC CORE, via which
   calls/mechanism ?

Thanks q lot for your great help

LINI