[alsa-devel] SND_PCM_STREAM_CAPTURE and SND_PCM_NONBLOCK producing strange artifacts

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Jul 5 08:52:44 CEST 2016

On Sat, 02 Jul 2016 23:58:28 +0200,
Trent Reed wrote:

> (Ping)
>
> I'm afraid I still don't understand why this is failing. I found that a
> call to sdn_pcm_wait() when -EAGAIN is returned fixes the problem because
> it waits for samples to be ready, but I don't understand why it is a
> problem in the first place. Much of the sample code is written in a way
> that suggests that the call to snd_pcm_wait() is optional, and only
> required when directly reading/writing from the device (MMAP, I'm not doing
> this).
>
> I'm just wondering what is wrong with basically looping over a call to
> snd_pcm_readi() in non-blocking mode, reacting to errors, and capturing
> frames. This produces awful static (which is basically garbage samples), is
> it a requirement that I call snd_pcm_wait() when -EAGAIN is passed back to
> wait for a full period to be ready?

Well, in the API level, it should work as you expected.  So there must
be definitely some bug(s).  But it's hard to spot out, as there are
several layers behind the scene.

As a first shot, try to reproduce without alsa-lib plugins, i.e. only
with "hw" PCM device, if not done yet.  Also, it's interesting to see
whether it happens with or without mmap r/w.

Another point is whether it depends on the parameter.  Did you try
48kHz instead of 44.1kHz?

Takashi