[alsa-devel] Alsa driver for Tascam US-16x08

Detlef Urban onkel at paraair.de
Mon Jul 4 19:25:08 CEST 2016

Hi,

I'm a former application developer at a big IT company.

Most of my private time I spend with semi-professional studio recording
using Ubuntu Studio (Ardour).
I bought a nice external sound device from Tascam called US-16x08 and it
works very well.
This device also contains some signal processing capabilities like a
compressor and a parametric equalizer. But unfortunately there was no
Linux driver available from the manufacturer and so I cant use there
functionalities.
So I started with a nightmare of re-engineering by monitoring USB
communication via usbmon and wireshark.

Now after 3-4 weeks I'm able to completely control this device with a
customized snd-usb-audio kernel module.
Additionally I developed a tiny GUI mixer application to test my driver.
But I'm not very familiar with non-coding aspects of driver deployment
(documentation, deployment etc.).

Can some please help me with some hints/links, so that other users can
benefit of my work?

regards
Detlef