[alsa-devel] portability: types

Thomas Klausner tk at giga.or.at
Fri Feb 26 00:31:24 CET 2016

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 04:36:36PM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Applied now.  Thanks.

Thank you.

The next big issue is that multiple places include Linux specific
header files, easily recognizable by the path linux/*.h.

I think these are used to define unusual types like __u32, __u64,
__kernel_off_t, __kernel_pid_t. There are also a number of cases of
u_xxx_t (which don't exist on Solaris) vs. the uxxx_t defined in C99.

Many of these types have POSIX equivalents, like uint32_t, uint64_t,
off_t, pid_t.

Would it be better to switch to those, or should we define compat
#typedefs or #defines in local.h?

Cheers,
 Thomas