[alsa-devel] [BUG] [REGRESSION] [BISECTED] -rc1 breaks audio over HDMI for i915

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Feb 12 14:49:49 CET 2016

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 14:09:36 +0100,
Martin Kepplinger wrote:

> Am 2016-02-11 um 10:06 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
> > On Wed, 10 Feb 2016 18:21:11 +0100,
> > Martin Kepplinger wrote:

> >> alsa-info and dmesg are appended, and
> >>
> >> root at laptop:/home/martin/dev# cat /proc/asound/card*/eld#*
> >> monitor_present		0
> >> eld_valid		0
> >
> > OK, then could you put some debug print in intel_pin_eld_notify() in
> > sound/pci/hda/patch_hdmi.c?  This is the callback to be called by i915
> > driver at enabling / disabling HDMI/DP audio.
>
> intel_pin_eld_notify() is called during HDMI plugin with
>
> audio_ptr: ffff880242ea8800, port 1
>
> and doesn't return early.

OK, so it was processed but the ELD wasn't updated by some reason.

> > (Also, to be sure, check whether snd_hdac_i915_register_notifier() in
> >  sound/hda/hda_i915.c is called, too.)
>
> snd_hdac_i915_register_notifier() is called during boot.
>

> > If intel_pin_eld_notify() is registered but never called, it implies
> > something wrong in i915 driver side.  If it gets called, we need to
> > track down: what port value was passed there, and how
> > hdmi_present_sense() and sync_eld_via_acomp() behave there.
>
> I'll try to look at said path, if you have no other idea in the meantime.

Put some debug prints in sync_eld_via_acomp(), e.g. check whether
snd_hdac_acomp_get_eld() returns an error or snd_hdmi_parse_eld()
returns an error.  If you got an error, track down more deeply.

For example, the former function is defined in sound/hda/hdac_i915.c,
and it calls the function i915_audio_component_get_eld() in
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_audio.c.  You can follow what returns an
error.

Similarly, the latter function is defined in sound/pci/hda/hda_eld.c.
Usually you see a kernel message for parse errors, so I guess this
isn't the case, though.