[alsa-devel] Stream format conversion in SoC driver

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Wed Dec 28 19:17:19 CET 2016

Giedrius Trainavičius wrote:
>What we want to achieve is for user to be able to select our sound card in
>the 'volumealsa' widget and all the software, such as internet browsers,
>mplayer, etc... would by default, without any further configuration, be
>able to output sound as usual.

I've looked at that widget's source, and it indeed hardcodes "hw" when
switching cards.

(It's possible that sample rate conversion is seen as using too
much CPU.)

The correct way to set the default card would be defaults.pcm.card,
but this might not work with customized conf files.

What hardware bus does your device use?
Doesn't the I2S/DMA controller support 16-bit samples?

Regards,
Clemens