[alsa-devel] Stream format conversion in SoC driver

Giedrius Trainavičius giedrius.trainavicius at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 15:54:15 CET 2016

What we want to achieve is for user to be able to select our sound card in
the 'volumealsa' widget and all the software, such as internet browsers,
mplayer, etc... would by default, without any further configuration, be
able to output sound as usual.

To achieve that, there seems to be 2 ways:

1. Report that S16_LE format is supported, somehow internally do the sample
format conversion in kernel space.
2. Use 'plug' in .asoundrc, and make changes to volumealsa widget in RPI
fork to be compatible with it.

If at all possible, the 1st option would be preferred, as it would involve
less parties.

Thank you,
Giedrius.