[alsa-devel] Translating USB device names to ALSA client numbers

Dejay alsa at dclayton.com
Mon Aug 29 23:25:32 CEST 2016

Hello,

I'm trying to write some udev wrappers to automatically connect USB MIDI devices to each other.  My logic could be really robust if I had a way of mapping ALSA client numbers (e.g. from 'aconnect -l', such as '20:0') to physical USB devices (either by bus ID, /dev/ symlink name, /proc/asound/ files, etc.)  My ultimate goal is so that when a udev rule executes upon hotplugging a MIDI device, I can reference that MIDI device by client number and then execute an aconnect command.  Thus, I need some way to map USB device information to the ALSA client numbers that get reported by aconnect.

Is there any way to accomplish this?  I tried to review the ALSA source code, but my eyes got jumbly after awhile.

Thanks,
Dejay