[alsa-devel] Bug in 3.10 alsa routing?

noman pouigt variksla at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 20:39:22 CEST 2016

Hello folks,

I am working on enabling a new alsa codec driver and
I am stuck with this below routing problem.

SND_SOC_DAPM_AIF_OUT("AIF1TX1",)

        { "AIF3RX1", NULL, "AIF3 Playback" },
        { "AIF1TX1 Input 1", NULL, "AIF3RX1" },
        { "AIF1TX1", AIF1TX1, "AIF1TX1 Input 1" },
        { "AIF1TX1", AIF1TX2, "AIF1TX1 Input 1" },
        { "AIF1 Capture", NULL, "AIF1TX1" },

AIF3 Playback and AIF1 Capture is stream name of AIF3
and AIF1 dai respectively.

After setting the paths using mixer command and triggering
AIF3 playback dai, I see that it is not powering AIF3 Playback widget.

After debugging I found the problem to be that ALSA core searches
for physically connected or active widget path before it
can power on the widget. So I think the codec developer wanted
me start the AIF1 capturing to turn on the whole path. However in our
system we just want to connect AIF3RX1 to AIF1TX1.

So i changed to below and now it is powering on the AIF3 Playback widget.
SND_SOC_DAPM_OUTPUT("DUMMY_NODE"),
       // { "AIF1 Capture", NULL, "AIF1TX1" },
       { "DUMMY_NODE", NULL, "AIF1TX1" },

Is ALSA core working as designed as I am using 3.11?

Thanks,
Variksla