[alsa-devel] Question about struct snd_soc_dai() :: cpu_dai->codec

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Thu Aug 4 22:56:05 CEST 2016

On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 10:21:10AM +0200, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:

> To be honest I'd also get rid of DAIs has a top level concept. This image
> (http://metafoo.de/the_new_asoc.svg) is something I've put together awhile
> ago how I think we should lay things out if we do a major refactoring of the
> ASoC core.

I do think they have a useful purpose in representing the edges of chips
in a convenient bundle and inject configuration.  I too would like to
see them less prominent in the code internals but they are useful as an
interface.

> Obviously we can't convert everything at the same time and it will take a
> lot of time and effort to update all drivers to this new model. This is
> where the legacy bridge kicks in which still keeps the concept of 1 CPU, 1
> CODEC, 1 platform. If you want to use the advanced features of the new
> framework you have to update your driver, if you are OK with the current set
> of features just keep the drivers the way they are and use the legacy bridge
> that is automatically managed by the ASoC core.

I actually keep thinking that it might be easier to refactor the simple
CPU plus platform SoCs into components than anything else - there's
going to be gotchas in there but it seems like a useful string to pull
at.  Though realistically if we're going to get companies working on
this it's probably easier to get DPCM people started off.