[alsa-devel] [snd_ali5451] snd_ali5451 0000:00:06.0: BUG: , pos = 16384, buffer size = 16384, period size = 1024

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Apr 25 16:54:34 CEST 2016

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 16:50:09 +0200,
Enrico Mioso wrote:

> Thank you a lot Takashi.
>
> there are two problems:
> 1 - The warning doesn't manifest always: in some cases (instances of mplayer?) this warning manifests itself from time to time, some minutes.

Yes, this is likely some XRUN by either hardware boundary condition or
a system load.

> 2 - I think the audio stops a little bit (less of a second I think), then things go ahead. Still I don't think any message is printed by alsa libraries.
> I don't know if this per se indicates there is no overrun, but still my sensation is this.
> But this system isn't exactly "extremely fast": so the audio might stop even for other reasons. I'll recompile the kernel to apply this patch and let you know.
> The timing will be slow, but I will try.

My patch won't improve in this regard, I'm afraid.  The PCM core
already corrects to the position 0 if such an invalid position is
detected, and the patch would do it just implicitly.  But, it's still
interesting to see whether it has any impact on such behavior.