[alsa-devel] Question about Conversion to S24_LE from S24_3LE

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Mon Apr 18 14:01:54 CEST 2016

Tan, Seng Kai wrote:
>> Your hardware does not support S24_LE.
>> 24-bit samples use the S32_LE format (unless you have very exotic hardware, but HDA isn't).
>
> We have another I2S hardware which is able to support S24L_LE and S32_LE format,

The format on the codec's bus has almost nothing to do with the ALSA
sample format.

The Sxx_xE format describes how the samples are formatted in memory,
i.e., how the DMA controller expects to read them.

> S24_LE in wav file

.wav files do no use ALSA sample formats.

Please describe the values of the header fields in this .wav file.

> Question: is all HDMI support 24 bit must have 32bit support?

That depends on the DMA controller.  Most use 32-bit alignment for
24-bit samples.

Regards,
Clemens