[alsa-devel] SPDIF trouble with multiple usb devices

Scott Doty scott at ponzo.net
Fri Apr 15 03:02:23 CEST 2016

On 04/13/2016 02:30 AM, Ricard Wanderlof wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Apr 2016, Scott Doty wrote:
>
>> So I'm having the worst luck with optical SPDIF devices.
>>
>>  3 [HD             ]: USB-Audio - USB Sound Blaster HD
>>                       Creative Technology USB Sound Blaster HD at
>> usb-0000:00:14.0-4.7.6, full speed
>>
>> I used to be able to use the optical SPDIF input for this device from my
>> synth, but that seems to have stopped working.  Further, I can't play
>> audio out of the Sound Blaster HD's optical SPDIF output, either.  It
>> works in Windows 10, which is where I had to spend my latest music
>> session -- yuck.
> Exactly what does 'stopped working' mean? Doesn't it should up when you
> enumerate audio devices, does it show up but input and output results in
> silence, does it show up but attempting to send audio results in an error,
> etc. (I know you linked to a long ALSA dump, but folks around here would
> be more willing to help if you stated as precisely as you could which
> symptoms you actually have.)
>
> /Ricard

Sorry for being asleep at the switch, tax time hit me squarely between
the eyes. :/

The problem I'm seeing is that pulse can select the spdif input on both
devices, but I never hear any sound.  I've also tried using alsa via rec
(from SOX) to record from various hw: devices with no joy.  Also using
ALSA devices from Audacity (which is what I started with in the first
place.)

HOWEVER, I was able to get at the optical audio in on the SIIG device
with the following command:

   arecord -c 2 -f S32_LE -r 48000 -D dsnoop:CARD=Audio,DEV=1 trythis2.wav

And then I investigated the "plughw" interface, and this worked too:

   arecord -c 2 -f S16_LE -r 48000 -D plughw:CARD=Audio,DEV=1
trythisPLUG.wav

So at least I can investigate that, and read up on using dsnoop and
plughw devices with Audacity.

The Sound Blaster HD, though, didn't have the same luck -- it is still
flatline when I view the dsnoop: device recording .wav files with
audacity, as well as the files from arecord on the plughw devices.

The output of arecord -L is in my .sig.

I see also "dmix" devices on the SIIG device, I will now investigate
those for optical spdif playback on the SIIG device, and the Sound
Blaster HD device if I have a chance.  The X-Fi device plays through the
optical spdif connector as expected.

Thank you!

--
 -Scott
default
    Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
null
pulse
    PulseAudio Sound Server
special
sysdefault:CARD=HD
    USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=HD,DEV=0
    USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=HD,DEV=0
    USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio
surround41:CARD=HD,DEV=0
    USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio
surround50:CARD=HD,DEV=0
    USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio
surround51:CARD=HD,DEV=0
    USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio
surround71:CARD=HD,DEV=0
    USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio
iec958:CARD=HD,DEV=0
    USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=HD,DEV=0
    USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=HD,DEV=1
    USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio #1
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=HD,DEV=0
    USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=HD,DEV=1
    USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio #1
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=HD,DEV=0
    USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=HD,DEV=1
    USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio #1
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=HD,DEV=0
    USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=HD,DEV=1
    USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio #1
    Hardware device with all software conversions
sysdefault:CARD=Pro
    SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, USB Audio
front:CARD=Pro,DEV=0
    SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, USB Audio
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Pro,DEV=0
    SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, USB Audio
surround41:CARD=Pro,DEV=0
    SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, USB Audio
surround50:CARD=Pro,DEV=0
    SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, USB Audio
surround51:CARD=Pro,DEV=0
    SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, USB Audio
surround71:CARD=Pro,DEV=0
    SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, USB Audio
iec958:CARD=Pro,DEV=0
    SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, USB Audio
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=Pro,DEV=0
    SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, USB Audio
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=Pro,DEV=0
    SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, USB Audio
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=Pro,DEV=0
    SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, USB Audio
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=Pro,DEV=0
    SB X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro, USB Audio
    Hardware device with all software conversions
sysdefault:CARD=PCH
    HDA Intel PCH, CA0132 Analog
front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, CA0132 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, CA0132 Analog
surround41:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, CA0132 Analog
surround50:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, CA0132 Analog
surround51:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, CA0132 Analog
surround71:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, CA0132 Analog
iec958:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, CA0132 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, CA0132 Analog
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=1
    HDA Intel PCH, CA0132 Digital
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=2
    HDA Intel PCH, CA0132 Analog Mic-In2
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=PCH,DEV=4
    HDA Intel PCH, CA0132 What U Hear
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, CA0132 Analog
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=1
    HDA Intel PCH, CA0132 Digital
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=2
    HDA Intel PCH, CA0132 Analog Mic-In2
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=PCH,DEV=4
    HDA Intel PCH, CA0132 What U Hear
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, CA0132 Analog
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=1
    HDA Intel PCH, CA0132 Digital
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=2
    HDA Intel PCH, CA0132 Analog Mic-In2
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=4
    HDA Intel PCH, CA0132 What U Hear
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, CA0132 Analog
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=1
    HDA Intel PCH, CA0132 Digital
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=2
    HDA Intel PCH, CA0132 Analog Mic-In2
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=PCH,DEV=4
    HDA Intel PCH, CA0132 What U Hear
    Hardware device with all software conversions
sysdefault:CARD=M8
sysdefault:CARD=Audio
    USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio, USB Audio
front:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio, USB Audio
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio, USB Audio
surround41:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio, USB Audio
surround50:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio, USB Audio
surround51:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio, USB Audio
surround71:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio, USB Audio
iec958:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio, USB Audio
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio, USB Audio
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=Audio,DEV=1
    USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio, USB Audio #1
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio, USB Audio
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=Audio,DEV=1
    USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio, USB Audio #1
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio, USB Audio
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=Audio,DEV=1
    USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio, USB Audio #1
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=Audio,DEV=0
    USB2.0 High-Speed True HD Audio, USB Audio
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=Audio,DEV=1