[alsa-devel] Issues with ALSA:ice1724 sound cards on powerpc machines

Julian Margetson runaway at candw.ms
Mon Apr 11 19:32:59 CEST 2016

On 4/11/2016 10:44 AM, Pavel Hofman wrote:
> Dne 11.4.2016 v 16:11 Takashi Iwai napsal(a):
>> On Mon, 04 Apr 2016 21:58:14 +0200,
>> Julian Margetson wrote:

>>> Anyone have any ideas ?
>>>
>>> Resubmitting again with links to logs instead of included as
>>> attachments.
>>> The issue also seen on A-Eon Cyrus P5020 motherboard .
>>>
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/72labcje9z1r1b7/1alsa-info.txt.7CLHMG0Gap?dl=0
>>>
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1pn5kjqrvwu16f/boot_1.log?dl=0
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/uuaa14rkpmmz1o0/2alsa-info.txt.VKiEVuytiJ?dl=0
>>>
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/wwu2f5t93l8g26d/boot_2.log?dl=0
>>
>> I have no concrete idea, but in general, the usual problems on PPC are
>> either related with cache coherency or byte endianness.  I don't know
>> of any issue with the latter in ice1724 driver, so likely it's the
>> former.
>>

> Perhaps the ice1724 driver was not even tested properly with the AC97
> codec. Do we know of any separate PCI ice1724 card with this codec?
>
> Regards,
>
> Pavel Hofman.

The second board mentioned , the Aeon Cyrus ,uses a P5020 so is cache
coherent .
The problem may be in the initialization of the sound card as on some
boots with my board , an Acube Sam460ex, it works perfectly.  I have
tested a CMI8738 pciex1 sound card which works perfectly as do USB cm108
based external cards .

I also have a PCI ice1724 version of the card  (never used in this
machine) as well as 2 different pciex1  ice1724 cards with the codec .
The Sam460ex only has 1 pci slot normally used for the SATA card and 1
shared pcie or SATA II.
I could test with  the pci card by booting from USB .
So either configure as 1 pciex1 slot or 1 on board SATA II .
I am helping to test the onboard sata-dwc but am happy to test any ideas
for a solution to the audio issues as well.
Will mean reconfiguring my machine back an forth but worth it for
solutions in both areas .

Regards
Julian