[alsa-devel] Found bugs in tlv320aic3x.c driver, how do I report them?

Benoît Thébaudeau benoit.thebaudeau.dev at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 21:31:15 CEST 2015

Dear Rick Mann,

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 9:21 PM, Rick Mann <rmann at latencyzero.com> wrote:
>> On Sep 29, 2015, at 11:47 , Benoît Thébaudeau <benoit.thebaudeau.dev at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 12:38 PM, Rick Mann <rmann at latencyzero.com> wrote:
>> Nothing should be done for these registers on 3104, not even setting
>> them to 0. The datasheet says "Do not write to this register.".
>
> Indeed, it does say that. I'll change the code.
>
> However, it also says not to write certain bits within a register, which is impossible (e.g. Table 88, Register 86, bit D2, "Reserved. Do not write to this register bit.").

This is just a bug resulting from a copy/paste in the datasheet, but
the idea is clear: do not touch reserved items when you can avoid
doing so. This bit is even read-only besides being reserved, so
writing it can't be harmful. The general rule for similar bits that
are writable and reserved is either to write them to 0 or to leave
them unchanged when writing the other bits of the register, depending
on the chip and registers.

Best regards,
Benoît