[alsa-devel] Missing return check of of_property_read_*()

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Sep 9 18:01:22 CEST 2015

On Wed, 09 Sep 2015 17:57:37 +0200,
Mark Brown wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 09, 2015 at 05:05:18PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > Brian Austin wrote:
>
> > > Shouldn't that build server at Intel catch these? I usually get emails
> > > about things like this from them.
>
> > Maybe depending on gcc version.  But it's interesting if no other
> > static analyzer hits this, too.
>
> It'll be because nobody is checking !OF ASoC configurations and paying
> attention to warnings - with !OF the functions are inline in the header
> and the compiler can tell nothing happens.

Yes, but non-OF ASoC gets more popular on x86 nowadays, so this should
be covered regularly, too.

> > I'm considering whether adding __must_check to of_property_read*()
> > would make sense.  Then it'll be caught no matter which gcc version is
> > used.  But this would hit too many spots.
>
> Well, if they're all buggy...

Not all of them are buggy, of course.  Some codes set the default
fallback value beforehand.  But, if thinking of future use, it might
be better to make the check mandatory.  No strong opinion here,
though.