[alsa-devel] Missing return check of of_property_read_*()

Mark Brown broonie at kernel.org
Wed Sep 9 17:33:49 CEST 2015

On Wed, Sep 09, 2015 at 05:05:05PM +0200, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
> On 09/09/2015 05:01 PM, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > There is nothing special in config or compiler option, just use the
> > normal x86-64 build with CONFIG_COMPILE_TEST.  I'm using gcc-5.1.1 for
> > now.

> I think you'll get them for any config with CONFIG_OF disabled. I've been
> seeing those warnings for a while now when compile-testing for x86 and I'm
> still on gcc 4.9.

Oh, right - that'll be the issue, nobody build tests those
configurations as standard, all the builders are all*config or
configurations that don't include ASoC.  I'd assume the Intel people are
seeing these in their testing but otherwise everyone is going to be
using DT and not seeing warnings.

> But even if you don't get the warning the code is still broken, the compiler
> just does not know.

Sure, I'm not questioning that there's an issue but rather why nobody
else had seen the warnings.