[alsa-devel] Getting notification of sound card load

Mina Almasry almasrymina at google.com
Tue Sep 8 19:09:39 CEST 2015

Hi,

I'd like to get a notification when a new sound card becomes available in
my system. What's the best way to do that?

For example, when I 'cat /proc/asound/cards' I usually see one sound card
available. But if I plug in USB speakers to my system and then run 'cat
/proc/asound/cards', I see that the USB sound card is ready for the device
I just plugged in.

What's the best way via C API to get a notification that a new card has
been loaded? Is there a better way that looking for changes on
/proc/asound/cards?

Thanks,
Mina