[alsa-devel] DP1.2 MST audio support discussion

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Fri Oct 23 12:55:51 CEST 2015

On 2015-10-23 07:30, Lin, Mengdong wrote:
> [...]

PulseAudio saves information about profile and volume, and does so on
what in PA terminology is called a "port". PA binds this port to a
specific Jack kctl and a PCM device. How this fits together is
configured in the files in /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/ .

E g, if both one HDMI and one DP monitor are both connected, the user
might set the volume (through PA) of the HDMI monitor to high and the DP
monitor to low. The user then reboots. Now, the PCM-to-monitor (and Jack
kctl-to-monitor) mapping needs to remain the same after a reboot,
otherwise PA might restore the volume to the wrong monitor.

> And how will PA handle PCM 9,10 in a different way?

PA will handle PCM 9 and 10 in the same way.

> They are not bound to pins, and even not able to dev indexes.
> In practice, a platform will usually support either a DP port or a HDMI port from the Intel integrated GPU for cost consideration.
> But theoretically i915 can use same device index on two different pins to connect monitors, e.g. pin 0x05, dev index 2 for one monitor and pin 0x06, dev index 2 for the other.

In theory, there are certainly cases where the PCM device allocation can
cause problems for PA. What I'm trying to achieve is that these cases
will be so few that no one will ever notice.

> On Intel platforms, the max dev indices is 2. Not sure about Nvidia and AMD.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic