[alsa-devel] DP1.2 MST audio support discussion

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Oct 23 10:44:04 CEST 2015

On Fri, 23 Oct 2015 10:35:26 +0200,
Lin, Mengdong wrote:

> [...]

On the existing machines, if you connect to a certain DP port, it's
always assigned to the same device.  This is guaranteed, so it's
perfectly fine to use this device statically for your purpose.

> The user can enumerate the PCM devices, and the PCM's jack ioctl can show whether a monitor is available behind this PCM device, no matter the driver uses fixed or dynamic binding between the PCM and pins.
> So people can always choose a PCM to use a monitor. I feel they need not care which pin is used for the monitor.

People *can* choose, but it doesn't mean people *must* reselect
another number out of sudden.  If they have to, it may be called a
regression.