[alsa-devel] audio-over-SPI driver for ASoC

Caleb Crome caleb at crome.org
Sun Oct 18 16:03:11 CEST 2015

Hi Brian,
   I've been thinking of doing something sort of similar, but perhaps
different.  It looks like you plan to go I2S/TDM into the McSPI, correct?
I've done this with a microcontroller before, which works mostly.  The
problem is that since the SPI port doesn't know about the frame sync
signal, any ESD strike that comes along provides an extra clock, and your
entire bit-stream gets out of sync.  So, as long as you can protect from
ESD well, it will work at the hardware level.

I've been thinking about using an interposer microcontroller that will
convert I2S to a packetized SPI protocol, so I can have any number of codec
channels, up to the limit of the SPI speed.  I'm not sure how it will all
work though (you can see my previous email on the subject).

Anyway, I'm definitely interested to hear how things are progressing.

-Caleb