[alsa-devel] Audio Mini Summit 2015, 8th October, Dublin

Jie, Yang yang.jie at intel.com
Thu Oct 15 15:06:22 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I have done some investigation on LTO usage and current status, summarize as below:

1. LTO is still only an experimental feature and not accepted by upstream yet;
2. to enable LTO, we need apply 20+ patches from Andi Kleen's github repo;
3. we need at least 4GB(8GB+ may be better) RAM for LTO kernel building, and using gcc 4.9+(maybe gcc rebuild needed);
4. kernel building may take much longer time, A few kernel features are currently incompatible with LTO.

So my conclusion on this is: LTO is still on experimental stage, we can try use it for specific customer project but not the goal of upstream yet;
BTW, LTO is a kernel general feature, there is no help for upstream ALSA specific tinification to try on it.